SPIN Selling Template
Ask prospects the right questions and close complex deals with our interactive SPIN Selling template. Our SPIN Selling template demystifies this age-old sales methodology, helping your sales team uncover a prospect’s needs through active listening and an easy-to-follow framework.
About this template
What is the SPIN Selling Methodology?
SPIN Selling is a research-based framework that can be followed to guide any sales engagement, breaking it down into four categories: Situation, Problem, Implication, and Need-payoff. The SPIN Selling methodology is designed to uncover a buyer’s needs via carefully calibrated questions before proposing solutions.
- Situation: Establish a prospect’s current situation by gathering information.
- Problem: Establish what problems the prospect is currently facing.
- Implication: Establish urgency for solving the prospect’s problem.
- Need-payoff: Highlight benefits of solving the prospect’s problem, guiding the buyer one step further down the conversion funnel.
SPIN Selling is centered around sales representatives asking the right questions and active listening. In fact, SPIN Selling is one of the sales methodologies that focuses the most on asking questions to uncover important buyer information.
When should you use the SPIN Selling methodology?
SPIN Selling has established itself as one the most prominent sales methodologies since its inception in 1988. This sales methodology can be used for closing complex B2B deals, eliminating ambiguity and uncertainty on sales calls by establishing a connection with prospective customers. The SPIN Selling methodology offers sales teams a structure to follow when first discussing a client’s potential needs, particularly as it applies to longer sales cycles.
SPIN Selling can be blended seamlessly with existing sales methodologies that rely on consultative selling. This sales methodology is particularly suited for companies that prefer to sell value before products and opt for a more human approach.
Benefits of using our SPIN Selling Template
Our template offers sales representatives a proven framework to better organize sales calls, forging relationships with prospective clients based on trust and credibility. With Qwilr, your sales team has the ability to customize this SPIN Selling template according to your prospect’s specific business needs and the four stages of the SPIN Selling methodology, streamlining the sales process.
Our interactive template can also help you track buyer engagement in real time with Qwilr analytics, aligning all relevant stakeholders within one mobile-friendly, collaborative document. The SPIN Selling template is ultimately designed to help your sales team relate a prospect’s problem to your products and services.
How to use this template
This template will ultimately help your sales representatives better organize their calls with prospects according to the four steps of this sales methodology. You can also book a demo if you are looking to get started with Qwilr!
- Create an easy-to-follow framework that outlines a prospect’s situation, problem, implication, and need-payoff
- Align multiple stakeholders within one, mobile-friendly and interactive document
- Monitor buyer engagement and track every click through Qwilr analytics
- Identify SPIN Selling questions to build trust and credibility with prospects
- Empower your sales team to become active listeners, identifying pain points
- Focus sales conversations on prospects with a problem that best fits your products and services (i.e. higher motivation to buy)
- Simplify the buying experience by organizing all pertinent information in one interactive document
- Ability to embed further sales collateral, like videos or spreadsheets – avoid attachments and links getting lost in email chains.
- Guide buyers through the sales process
- Embed security and compliance information for a safe, streamlined, and reliable sales process
Qwilr helps modern sales teams wow their buyers and drive revenue through engaging web experiences.
Web content builder
Drag and drop your way to beautiful sales collateral with our powerful editor.
Empower buyers with interactive pricing plans and quotes.
Add security features like password protection and link expiry to protect sensitive content.
Add your brand colors, logos, and custom fonts.
Optimized for mobile
Every Qwilr page is automatically optimized for mobile views.
Get deals signed on the spot with built-in e-signing ability.
Build a library of re-usable content for your sales reps to make every piece of collateral up to date and aligned to the company brand.
Track buyer engagement
Know what your customers are engaging with by tracking views, clicks and time spent on each web page.
Add Calendly links, videos, surveys, Looms, GIFs and more to every page.
Frequently Asked Questions
The SPIN Selling methodology involves four easy-to-follow steps: situation, problem, implication, and need payoff. Simply put, this age-old sales methodology has been designed to get sales teams to ask the right questions in the right order, before eventually aligning a prospect’s needs with your products and services. This methodology ultimately shifts the focus on the prospect’s concerns, helping sales representatives develop sincere relationships with their prospective clients.
There are four types of Questions, one for each step of the methodology, including Situation, Problem, and Implication, and Need Payoff. Here are examples of questions your sales representatives can ask prospective clients to help them get started.
- What is your role at the company?
- How important is this to your business?
- Who’s responsible for resolving this?
- How much budget do you have allotted for this?
- Who realistically would need to be involved on your end to help implement a solution?
- How much is this problem currently costing your business?
- Are you satisfied with your current process?
- How long will it take to resolve this issue?
- Is this problem negatively impacting your KPIs?
- How is this problem affecting your team morale?
- When was the last time you had this problem?
- If you didn’t experience this problem, would it be easier to achieve your company level objectives?
‘Need Payoff’ Questions:
- Would it help if we assisted with this problem?
- Would that be valuable to your team?
- What makes this solution appealing to you?
- What would be the benefits of solving this problem?
Typically, there are four stages involved in any SPIN sale: Opening, Investigating, Demonstrating Capability, and Obtaining Commitment.
- Opening: This step is all about gathering all relevant information by asking carefully calibrated questions. The focus here should be on building trust and credibility with a prospect.
- Investigating: Arguably the most important step of SPIN Selling, the investigating stage entails understanding what has frustrated the customer in the past, identifying potential pain points.
- Demonstrating Capability: The third step requires sales representatives to present solutions to a prospect’s problems, showcasing product or service features, benefits, and relevant use cases.
- Obtaining Commitment: The final step involves getting approval from the customer before proceeding.
The success of SPIN Selling can be measured by four possible outcomes: Advances, Continuation, Orders, and No-Sales.
- Advances: An advance is when a prospect is one-step closer to making a purchasing decision.
- Continuation: Continuation is an undesirable outcome in SPIN Sellingand is when a prospect hasn’t agreed to next steps.
- Order: As the name suggests, an order is when a prospect agrees to purchase your product or service and signs relevant paperwork.
- No-Sale: The least desirable outcome of the four, a No-Sale is when a prospect outright rejects the sale.
SPIN Selling can be extremely effective for closing complex deals entailing extended sales processes, however, certain best practices exist. For one, sales representatives are encouraged to ask open-ended questions to fully understand a prospect’s needs.
Sales teams should also aim to keep the focus on the prospect and their concerns rather than try to dominate conversation. This demonstrates active listening and keeps the conversation going naturally. Finally, familiarizing yourself with the client’s business as much as possible and anticipating their needs in advance is a good way to increase the likelihood of success with SPIN Selling.
Start winning with Qwilr today
Start a free trial or get a personalized product demo from the Qwilr sales team.